Monday, June 23, 2008

The benefits of bike commuting!

From a letter originally published inthe Queen Charlotte Observer a couple of years ago, written by Peter G.:
Hi. I'm sure you've seen me. I'm the guy in the yellow jacket bicycling between home at Sandspit airport
and work at South Moresby Air in the village of Queen Charlotte. My hats off to all of you eco- minded (or
just plain cheap like me) people cycling, rollerblading or walking, especially between QC and Skidegate. Just for fun I've kept stats on my bike commute during 2005 and I'd like to share them with you.
I bike the 20 km to work approximately twice to three times a week. It takes around 38 minutes from the airport to the ferry and 13 minutes from Skidegate landing to SMair at a moderate rate which burns 1,020 calories for the round trip. More ice cream please!
My truck is not fuel efficient. I'ts an older model Ford F-250 with a 400 cu in. engine. (sucking noise)
Its wonderful for transporting stuff and even better for providing incentive to bike instead. Biking in 2005 saved $1,156.54 in fuel plus maintenance costs. Environmentally the fuel that didn't burn saved 4,620 lbs of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere plus other gases.
The nearly antique 10-speed of mine was purchased for $450.00 in 1980 and went 4,505 km in 2005 or about Sandspit to mid- Labrador if the road was straight. Flats were a problem, around 10 I guess, mostly from sharp rocks (avoid!) or Alliford Bay road, which NEEDS WORK PLEASE! and can't be avoided.
I really never get wet or cold anymore once I learned how to dress for it and the slight back pain and knee problems I once had have disappeared. (for whatever reason) Hiking uphill is surprisingly easy now and the biking itself gets way easier after about 2 months or so. There you have it . I'm writing this on behalf of planet earth, I guess, and am hoping to entice a few more of you (who are able) to join the fun. Wishful thinking tells me that if we lessen the demand for fuel the prices may start to come down... good luck!

No comments: